Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tater Soup

Well, I didn't get to work on my blog today. When I woke up this morning I decided to make a nice pot of coffee and watch the morning news. That seemed to energize me so I went out and vacuumed the pool and did a little yard work before the rain came. I did laundry and then went to town to do my chores. I went to the supermarket and can you believe that the cheapest pack of bacon in the store was $3.19? Then I came home and started supper.

My son, Owen, played on the Wii a while. He just got a new game, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and he's been trying to unlock new songs. While I was cooking the wind started blowing pretty bad and the neighbor called to tell me that all of my pool toys and floats were blowing away. I normally keep them tied with bungee cords but when I cleaned it I moved them all out. I had to leave my boiling potatoes and frying bacon to go chase run away pool toys. So, dinner preparation was delayed a bit. When I came back in I didn't turn the stove back on immediately because the lightning was pretty bad. My grandmother was hit by lightning 3 times in her life so I am pretty scared of it. Owen and I went in my room and laid on the bed in front of the window and watched mother nature at work. He read a little in his Bible while we were laying there and when the storm finally slowed down I went back to cooking and he turned on cartoons. Supper was very good. We sat and ate while we watched television (Family Feud and Beverly Hillbillies). Then we put the food away and did dishes and sat some more. Owen got out his microscope and started looking at some slides of various animal hairs.

Then the Red Sox game came on at 7:00pm and since we are all huge baseball fans, we sat and watched the game (of course I knitted while I watched). Red Sox beat the twins 6-5!!!! Yay! The Dodgers and Braves are playing now. I subscribe to the MLB package so we get every game. It's really wonderful getting to see them all. If you are a lover of baseball like we are, I would reccomend it. My Uncle would tell me about when he was a youngster that they only showed 1 game a week on TV and you never knew which teams it would be. That would be horrible and sort of exciting at the same time.

Anyhow, I wish I had gotten around to adding more on my blog today. I did give it some thought and decided that I am just going to discuss basically everything that goes on during my day. Sort of like a reality show via a blog :) I'll add pics when I can. For now I will post the recipe for the potato soup that we had for supper tonight. Goodnight!!!!

Potato Soup (my grandma's recipe)

Ingredients:

Bacon (however much you want, the goal is simply to get the grease from it)
Potatoes (again, however many you want in your soup)
Onion 1 medium
Milk 1 and 1/2 cups
Salt
Pepper
Flour (about 1/2 cup)


Peel and chop potatoes to a little bigger than quarter size and put in water to boil. Let them boil until you can easily stick a fork in them but NOT until they fall apart. When they are done, drain them but reserve the water you boiled them in. In a skillet, fry the bacon and when finished put it on a paper towel to drain. Reserve most of the grease. Add the chopped onion to the grease and let it fry until it becomes transparent. Turn down the heat to Medium and add 1/2 cup of flour. Stir with a fork until there are no lumps and the flour is like a paste consistency. Turn the heat up a tiny bit and start pouring in the milk slowly. Stir as you are pouring it keeping it from scorching. Once you have it to a good gravy like consistency then start adding some of the water that you boiled the potatoes in and stirring. Add as much as you want until it is the soupy consistency you like and makes as much soup as you want. Once you have it the right consistency, add salt and pepper to taste. Then put the soup and potatoes in the crock pot (slow cooker whichever you call it) and let cook for about 1 hour on high.

This makes a really great potato soup. I know it is pretty high in fat, but just this once won't hurt you :) I hope you like it!

1 comment:

Esther said...

I like the sound of your recipe - thanks for sharing it. I'll have to try it... but I think I'll wait awhile. It was in the 90's here today. Not quite soup weather :D